Tuesday, May 28, 2013

South of Surrender (Hearts of the Anemoi #3) by Laura Kaye



She’s the only one who can see through his golden boy façade to the broken god within…

Chrysander Notos, Supreme God of the South Wind and Summer, is on a mission: save Eurus from his death sentence and prove his troubled brother can be redeemed. But Eurus fights back, triggering vicious summer storms that threaten the mortal realm, dangerously drain Chrys, and earn the ire of the Olympic gods who ordered Eurus dead.

Laney Summerlyn refuses to give up her grandfather’s horse farm, despite her deteriorating vision. More than ever, she needs the organized routine of her life at Summerlyn Stables, until a ferocious storm brings an impossible—and beautiful—creature crashing down from the heavens.

Injured while fighting Eurus, Chrys finds himself at the mercy of a mortal woman whose compassion and acceptance he can’t resist. As they surrender to the passion flaring between them, immortal enemies close in, forcing Chrys to choose between his brother and the only woman who’s ever loved the real him.

Type: Paranormal Romance, Gods
Heat: 3.5 out of 5
Rating: 4.5 out of 5

I hate the summer. Hot weather, the sun beaming down on you, sweating. Just do not like anything that has to do with the heat but Sweet Mary Chrysander, Supreme God of the South Wind and Summer, has me craving anything and everything to do with it. I'm telling you. Kaye is good.

South of Surrender was everything and at the same time nothing like what I expected. As always with Kaye I know I'm in for an incredible ride that's well written, exciting, steamy and utterly captivating. But she really brought some different aspects to the game this time including a heroine that was losing her eye sight and was nearly blind. Different, right?

I loved pretty much everything about these two. Laney really may be one of my favorite heroines...ever. Instead of crumbling and whining that life is unfair because of her loss of eye sight she goes about her life with a fierce determination and in a way that just makes you proud to know her. She's brave, honorable, protective and caring and really everything you could want in a heroine.

And Chrys. He's sexy as hell and damaged in so many ways but he's a good man and doing everything he can to save his "unsavable" brother. I loved that he still wanted to help Eurus even though he's pretty much done them all wrong. And I loved these two together. They're so very different but oh man it works. The chemistry is incredible and the depth of their feelings is amazing. I loved how they were with each other and that they could see each other like others couldn't.

And on to the steamy bits because OMG. This was hot! And so not what I was expecting. Kaye's books are usually on the nice and steamy side but this one had a little daring edginess to it and it was absofreakinghot! Like catch your breath and curl your toes yummy. There are only a couple scenes but damn they're intense and powerful. Chrys likes it a little rough and turns out Laney likes a little manhandling. So worked for me. There was one little bit that I won't spoil here but that set me back a bit because I can't remember for the life of me ever reading before and I loved it.
He dragged his teeth down her neck, then softly bit the tendon that sloped into her shoulder. "No. Just feel this. Just feel me in you."

"Unnh, do that again."

He almost didn't hear her plea over the roar of the jets. "Do what?"

"With your teeth."

Aw, hell. Holding back his arousal had him gritting his teeth. "You want me to bite you, Laney?" She nodded. "Where?"

"Everywhere."
So, aside from awesome characters, the hotter than hot sexy bits and a nice little bit of romance the action in the story was really excellent too. Things are not calm at all in the world of the gods and Chrys has to deal with some pretty awful things his brother was meting out on the world. It'll had my heart pounding and some of the surprises Kaye tossed in along the way really just tore at me and had me bawling. Amazing stuff.

Once again Kaye blew me away. No matter the genre or type of characters she brings to the table she does it with class, heat and undeniable heart. I loved getting to catch up with this group of men and women and can't wait to see what Kaye comes up with for East of Ecstasy. It's going to be an interesting one...

And for today's Man Candy...because..the hero. does. this... *thud*

Have you read Kaye?
Do you have a favorite series/book/character/quote?
What do you think of the Anemoi? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always enjoy hearing what YOU think so come on and leave a comment. Everyone's welcome :) And feel free to leave comments on old posts. I'll check in on you there too :)

Bloggers don't forget to leave your links!
~Anna

The Herd Archives