Monday, May 28, 2012

Hello, Gorgeous! (Gorgeous #1) by MaryJanice Davidson

One minute I'm out with my sorority sisters; the next there's a terrible accident (beyond my friend Stacey's outfit) and I'm waking up in some weird clinic transformed into a human cyborg--with a mission: to stop evil and stuff. Uh, hello? I've got a beauty salon to run. 

Granted, it is cool to run faster than a Ford Mustang when I need to, even if it's totally hard on my shoes. But then I have to bring in another human cyborg on the run? One who happens to be male, totally gorgeous, smart, funny--and, um, his "enhancements"?--as if!

Type: Paranormal Romance/ Chick Lit
Heat: 2.5 out of 5
Rating: 2 out of 5


Hello, Gorgeous! Is a fairly decent read if you've got a couple hours to kill and are looking for some mindless fluff. It's rather silly and completely off the charts immature but sometimes that's just what you need. If you've liked Davidson's Queen Betsy series you'll probably enjoy this one as well. The style is pretty standard Davidson. The heroine is a little mean, a lot sarcastic and immature but gets the job done at the end of the day. 



Caitlyn has basically been used as a human guinea pig by the government. Turned into a "fully functioning cybernetic organism who has retained [her] humanity", without her permission, to be used as a weapon against terrorists. So, really, in her defense I think she's pretty damn justified in being a little pissed off. She so doesn't want to be any part of the governments plans which leads to some fairly entertaining quips with the "Boss".  A little bitchy. A little crass. But I do like that she doesn't just let everyone walk all over her without putting up a little fight.
"Why Mirage?" 
"Because, frankly, nobody here ever knows when you'll show up for a mission. You've only yourself to blame for that one. Mirage." 
"I hate you. And it's not a simple, easy hate like people hating fish. I hate you like the plague. I hate you like a famine. I--"
"Mirage, can we speed this up? You have no idea what this is costing me per minute."
"Aw, go bitch to AT&T. Listen, there were just a few tiny details you forgot to share with me when you sent me to Paris. Paris, Texas, you big jerkoff."
He giggled. He couldn't help it. "Describe exactly what your face looked like when you found out you weren't in the City of Light. Leave out nothing."
Her new mission is to take down the person that's killing the team behind the cyborg experiment. That leads her right to Dimitri Novakov who just so happens to be another cyborg and thinks Caitlyn's the killer! It was kinda fun to watch them trying to figure each other out and try to figure out who the real killer was. Again though the relationship was so much like Betsy and Sinclair in the Undead series. If you haven't read that series you'd probably enjoy this one a lot more since it would feel a little more original and not like such a repeat that's just had a few tweaks here and there. 

The thing that really put me off in Hello, Gorgeous! was that Caitlyn kinda grossed me out from the start when she had sex to "neutralize" a computer hacker on her first mission. One of those "lets boink and then you'll be cured of being slightly evil and a pain in the ass" kinda things. Yick. I'm not a fan of my heroines or heroes being easy and using sex like that. 

So it's not one that'll change the world or that had me completely captivated but it's a very quick read and not a bad bit of "junk food" reading. There are some funny moments that thankfully balance out the less than stellar/icky ones. 


Get your copy today:     Amazon     Barnes&Noble  


Have you read this one? Do you have an author you can't seem to give up but drives you a bit crazy? What's your favorite "junk food" read?!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always enjoy hearing what YOU think so come on and leave a comment. Everyone's welcome :) And feel free to leave comments on old posts. I'll check in on you there too :)

Bloggers don't forget to leave your links!
~Anna

The Herd Archives