Saturday, April 7, 2012

Gladys Joy (A to Z)


Today....the most important "G", the house baby, Gladys Joy. Sorry if this gets a little long :) She's draped over me right now and keeps yowling at me every time I move. This girl does NOT like to share her momma's attention even if I'm bragging on her.  I adopted her back in 2008, or rather, she claimed me and then waited until I finally figured it all out and filled out paperwork with the rescue. 

Gladys was my first bottle baby and my little one did not have an easy start to life. She and her 3 siblings were left in a metal county shelter drop box in the middle of a March night, still wet from being born,  and without their mom to keep them warm. 

She was a screamer from day one as you can see :)

That same day we brought a momma Beagle home from the shelter and just hours later she delivered 5 beautiful puppies. She also decided to take on Gladys and her 3 siblings. Pretty cute, right?


A short time later another rescue offered to take the siblings in because they had a mother cat that was nursing. I thought this would be great but it turned out to be rather awful. The girl in charge of the rescue didn't pay them any attention and before she decided they were too much work, dumping them at our vets instead of calling me, 3 of them had passed away. It was devastating and one of the few times I've really wanted to hurt someone. 
I was able to get Gladys home with me again when she was just turning 3 weeks old. She had a severe infection from lack of care and we thought she'd lose one of her eyes. She wasn't out of the woods and we ended up being nearly round the clock for days doing feedings and keeping her warm. It was exhausting but she was so darn cute and spunky even with all she'd been through. 
She LOVED her bottle. She'd hear me mixing it up and would just start squealing. She was so darn stubborn she wouldn't eat real food until she was 8 weeks old and still she wanted her bottle.


She was just so tiny but she hated being locked in the craft room all on her own with her stuffed seal and lamb. So she would spend the nights in my room with me in her little carrier. She did not appreciate this one bit. She wanted to be out and about but with a 140 pound dog in the house that was a no go. I got this face at me a LOT. So hard to deny that little thing anything and she well knew it!


She's always loved meeting new people...












Little did my Gladiola know but her mom would soon find a love for little kitty clothes and decide that torture was indeed an acceptable past time. Lobsters, little witches, winter coats. Leggings and scarfs. Frilly little neck puffs and party dresses galore. 



Some didn't go over quite as well as others....
 







 My wee little screamer. She's mastered this look over the years. 







She's also a "nurser" and nurses on all of my blankets. I think because she was a bottle baby. She just turned 4 years old and still does this from time to time. 


My little girly is also quite the reader. She loves a good book and snuggling with her mom for a little reading. 




So there you have it. My most important G. Or as Gladys would insist...my most important A through Z. 

13 comments:

  1. Oh goodness, she's so adorable!! :D

    I'm a new follower from Feature & Follow, pleased to meet you! It's my first week signed up, I'd love it if you came by to visit :) Link to my FF post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, she is just precious! She looks like a cat I used to have named JJ (for Jimmie Johnson. My son is a Nascar fan).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. love that name. Don't know anything about Nascar but it's still cute :)

      Delete
  3. so cute, she know you saved her life i can't understand that woman! ( or the first person who just throw them away like that)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just don't get people like that either! I don't think I've ever been so mad in my life. But I got my little girly back and she's doing great even if she is driving me a bit batty today ;)

      Delete
  4. Yeah that lady sounds ridiculous. Why offer to take them in the first place!??

    I'm so glad Gladys picked you though because she seems like a darling cat. She has such a pretty gray coat!

    xoxo Lloralye @ Adorning Schemes A to Z

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sweet kitty! She's lucky to have you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. She's so cute! I'm so glad you were able to save her. Our bottle baby still nurses the blankets too. I think it's so cute when they do that.

    Don't even get started on wanting to hurt people who don't take care of fur kids!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it darling? Two of Gladys' "sisters" nurse on blankets as well and so does my mom's beagle. I think a lot of bottle babies end up doing that.

      Delete
  7. What a lovely, heartwarming blog and Gladys Joy is just gorgeous! I love the bottle pic and also the one on the blanket with her paw held out and toes splayed! Too cute.
    :0)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aww, she's gorgeous! Looks like my Pandora, who I lost last year because she ate a brown recluse spider. :( Give your Gladys Joy a big hug!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Super cute! My kitty's mom was a little grey one, so I have a soft spot for 'em.

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing what YOU think so come on and leave a comment. Everyone's welcome :) And feel free to leave comments on old posts. I'll check in on you there too :)

Bloggers don't forget to leave your links!
~Anna

The Herd Archives