Monday, January 16, 2012

Tasty Delights-- Cafe Mocha Chocolate Tort

Holy Tastebuds!! This was just delicious! I'm drooling just a little bit just thinking about it. Will definitely be making this one again! 

I really thought this would be difficult to make, certainly sounded fancy, but it was beyond easy. The hardest part was tracking down instant espresso power! It reminds me a lot of pecan pie which is one of my favorite desserts. I made two changes from the original recipe. 

First I made my own crust instead of using store bought. It's more personal preference than anything. I love homemade crust and it's pretty easy. I made my crust then baked for 10 minutes and cooled before continuing on with the recipe. The second thing I changed was the amount of espresso. I'm not huge on coffee flavors so reduced the amount from 3 tablespoons to 2 tablespoons thinking it would be too overpowering otherwise. Was perfect for my taste but I think I would have liked it just as much with the original amounts. Homemade whipped cream topped it off. Recipe 2 of the year was a huge success! 50 to go!


Cafe Mocha Tort 
(original recipe without my changes)

Pie crust
2/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
3T instant espresso powder
1/2 cup corn syrup (light or dark)
1t vanilla extract
1 cup chopped walnuts
3T unsalted butter
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
whipped cream

  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees
  • Press pie crust into bottom and sides of a tort pan with removable bottom
  • Sprinkle chocolate chips and walnuts evenly onto crust
  • Microwave butter in large glass bowl, covered for 40 seconds
  • Whisk espresso powder into melted butter
  • Beat in brown sugar, corn syrup, eggs, vanilla into butter mix and then pour into pie crust
  • Bake in lower 1/3rd of oven for 37-40 minutes
  • Cool on rack before slicing


No comments:

Post a Comment

I always enjoy hearing what YOU think so come on and leave a comment. Everyone's welcome :) And feel free to leave comments on old posts. I'll check in on you there too :)

Bloggers don't forget to leave your links!
~Anna

The Herd Archives